Upcoming Los Alamos Chamber Of Commerce:
Chamber Business Breakfast
County Manager, Steve Lynne Presents the 2022 Annual Report at 7:30 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 12, Location TBD. Register now
Chamber Members – We want to hear from you!
We are consciously planning our next year of Chamber Business Breakfasts and we would love to know what you want to see and who you want to hear from. Please take 1 minute to fill out this survey (Chamber Business Breakfast Survey) so we can gauge interests in different topics. Or feel free to submit your own suggestion!
If you have any questions, please let Sam know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Chamber Announces 2022 Blue Bucks Promotion Winners
The holiday shopping season kicked off Nov. 26 in Los Alamos and White Rock with Small Business Saturday. This year, a few lucky shoppers also won big in the Enterprise Bank & Trust Blue Bucks promotion! The program is designed to incentivize shopping locally and offers shoppers a chance to win cash prizes and gift cards to participating businesses.
For the fifth consecutive year, the Blue Bucks promotion was organized by the Los Alamos Chamber of Commerce and Los Alamos MainStreet and sponsored by Enterprise Bank & Trust. Blue Bucks raffle tickets were given out by participating businesses for any purchase up to $25 (first ticket), then one ticket for each additional $25 spent. Blue Bucks tickets were given out from Friday, Nov. 25 through Saturday, Dec. 10. There were almost 17,000 tickets returned for the raffle.
The grand prize winner of the drawing was Ward Rupprecht, who received the winning ticket while shopping at Little Studio on the Mesa in White Rock, who also won $1,000 for giving away the winning ticket.
The $500 winner was Father Theophan, who received his winning ticket at Metzger’s Do It Best Hardware.
The $250 winner was Colleen Olinger, who received her winning ticket from The Lobby Shop at Los Alamos Medical Center. Olinger, who used to own Otowi Station Bookstore in town, has announced that she is donating her entire winnings to Samizdat Bookstore & Teahouse to show her support for this new bookstore!
The drawing Tuesday was also for five gift bags, each containing approximately $500 in gift certificates or merchandise from participating businesses. The winners are Carol Hoover, who shopped at Pet Pangaea; Barbara Evans, who shopped at Kokopilates; Samantha Griego, who shopped at Gaia Gifts at Boomerang Consignment; Thomas Martinez, who shopped at 420 TeaTime Dispensary & Lounge; and Tyson Cardon, who shopped at the Los Alamos Cooperative Market! These gift cards were purchased with funding from Enterprise Bank & Trust, to further support small businesses.
“I am so thankful for the support I have received from the community these past 6 months. Running a business is a 24/7 job, but the connections I have made, the customers who have become friends, and the space I am able to provide to the community makes it more than worth it,” Joanne Kozuchowski said, owner of Little Studio on the Mesa, which gave away the grand prize-winning ticket. “I want to congratulate Ward Rupprecht and all the winners and say thank you to Enterprise Bank & Trust for their generosity, and the Chamber of Commerce and MainStreet for organizing this Small Business Saturday promotion. I look forward to a future here in White Rock and have some exciting plans in the works for 2023!”
Small Business Saturday is an annual celebration in conjunction with the national promotion started by American Express to support local businesses the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Started in Los Alamos in 2010 by Cyndi Wells, owner of Pet Pangaea, the event has grown over the years. In 2020 Los Alamos Commerce & Development Corporation (LACDC) won a Bronze Award from the International Economic Development Council (IEDC) for the Small Business Saturday Blue Bucks Promotion in the “Innovative Programs and Initiatives” category.
“Thank you again to Enterprise Bank & Trust for sponsoring Small Business Saturday and the Blue Bucks promotion for the fifth year in a row,” Ryn Herrmann said, Director of the Chamber of Commerce. “Many of our local businesses let us know that Small Business Saturday truly helps their bottom line. So, thank you to all who participated in the Blue Bucks promotion. Supporting our small businesses and shopping local really does make a difference to our community.
UNM-LA Community Internship Collaboration Applications Open for Spring 2023
Collaborate with a UNM-Los Alamos undergraduate on a project to grow your business. Benefit from flexibility, new perspectives, and the rewards of mentorship. Contribute to local workforce development while UNM-LA pays your intern’s salary. CIC applications are available now! Please submit by Jan. 10. For more information and to apply, visit losalamos.unm.edu/cic or email email@example.com.
Webinars & Training:
SCORE Small Business Free Webinars
- Getting Certified as a Woman-Owned, Minority-Owned or Veteran-Owned Business.
11a.m. Thursday, Dec. 29. Learn more and register;
- How To Pay Small Business Taxes Strategically To Avoid One Big Tax Bill.
11 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 5, 2023. Learn more and register;
- How To Develop a Social Media Following?
3 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2023. Learn more and register;
- 2023 Hottest Business Ideas, Trends & Markets.
11 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 12, 2023. Learn more and register;
- Should You Get Certified as a Woman-owned, Veteran-owned or Minority-owned Business?
11 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 19, 2023. Learn more and register.
WESST Free Online January 2023 Workshops:
- To Square Or Not To Square.
Topic: Managing a Business. 9-10:30 a.m. Monday, Jan. 16, 2023;
- Setting Your Salary as a New Business Owner.
Topic: Business Accounting and Budget. 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2023;
- Get Ready for Valentine’s Day: Sell Your Heart & Craft Projects.
Topic: Marketing and Sales. 10-11:30 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2023;
- Introduction To Basic Bookkeeping.
Topic: Business Accounting and Budget. 12-1:30 p.m. Thursday Jan. 19, 2023;
- How To Write A Business Plan the Condense Version.
Topic: Business Basics. 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m. Tuesday Jan. 24, 2023;
- Introduction To Finances for Indigenous Women Entrepreneurs
Topic: Cash Flow Management. 6-7:30 pm. Wednesday Jan. 25, 2023;
- Bookkeeping 201: How To Do Basic Bookkeeping.
Topic: Business Accounting and Budget. 12-1:30p.m. Thursday, Jan. 26, 2023;
- Additional WESST Workshops
Grants & Funding:
Competitive Pay for Professionals Grant
The state will provide funding for any eligible childcare employee (e.g., teachers, cooks, bus drivers, administrative staff, etc.) with an active Early Childcare and Education Development (ECECD) – issued or approved background clearance if the organization attests that staff will receive a $3/hour wage increase. Learn more and apply.
Los Alamos County:
COVID-19 Community Newsletter
Please take a minute to read the COVID-19 Community Newsletter, and make sure your family is prepared for the colder season, holiday gatherings, cross-country travels, and visits with older loved ones.
Make sure to order your FREE at-home COVID tests, get boosted, and stay informed! Click here to view.
Submit Info Now for County Spring Activity Guide
The LAC Spring Activity Guide run dates are: Feb. 26 – May 27, 2023.
If you have any information to update, an event or activity scheduled within the above dates please send the info to Sara Martinez, Program Specialist, Community Services Department, firstname.lastname@example.org, 505.662.8272. If you have an image to go with your information, please include that in your submission.
Please note the following submission requirements and important dates below:
- Title of Event/Program;
- 1-2 sentence description;
- Date, Time, Location of Event/Program;
- Fees & Registration Information;
- Contact Information.
- Content Deadline: Dec. 22, 2022;
- Print Date: Jan. 23, 2023;
- Distribution Date: Feb. 23, 2023;
- Booklet Coverage Dates: Feb 26 – May 27, 2023.
Chamber Member News:
Promotion for Local UNM-LA Students
UNM-Los Alamos (UNM-LA) would like to help promote local businesses and encourage our students to engage more in the community. We are hoping your business would be willing to offer a small discount, such as percentage off a purchase or a buy-one-get-one deal, to students who show their UNM student ID card at the time of purchase.
Your collaboration with and support of UNM-LA will be advertised to students by including your business on a list of participating organizations. This list will be given to new students in their advising folders, distributed at New Student Orientation, and posted on the UNM-LA website and campus TV circuit. We would also like to invite you to our annual job fairs and welcome-back events to promote further awareness about the program and build your relationship with our students.
Thank you for considering our request. If you are interested in participating or if you have any questions about this program, please contact Grace Willerton, Student Government Advisor, at email@example.com or (505).663.3406.
Holiday Farmers Market
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 22 at Fuller Lodge;
- Join at Fuller Lodge for live music and holiday produce, baked goods and gifts!
420 Teatime & Dispensary Sip & Paint Event – The Starry Night Tweedles
- 6 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 22 at 420 TeaTime Recreational Dispensary & Edible Lounge (21+ only); 35 Rover Blvd Suite G#140, White Rock, NM;
- Register in advance at lacanvasevents.com.
Skate with Santa
- 3:30-5 p.m. Friday, Dec. 23 at Los Alamos County Ice Rink;
- The County Community Services Department is hosting Santa and his Elves at the Ice Rink;
- Come skate, take photos and enjoy candy canes!
Los Alamos Co-Op Market Family Paint Night – The Snowman
- 5:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 23 at the Co-op Market, 95 Entrada Dr, Los Alamos;
- Register in advance at lacanvasevents.com.
- 5-7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 24 at Los Alamos County Ice Rink;
- Spend Christmas Eve at the Ice Rink! Quiet holiday music, luminaries, and holiday lights will transform the rink;
- Admission includes skate rental, coffee and cocoa;
- $6.50 for ages 6+ and $2.50 for ages 5 and under.
Los Alamos Medical Center’s Lobby Gift Shop – Extended Shopping Hours
- Los Alamos Medical Center’s Lobby Gift Shop will now be open Saturdays for holiday shopping;
- Stop by the LAMC Lobby Shop 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Dec. 24 for stocking stuffers, holiday décor, and more!
- All profits benefit the community through Auxiliary projects.
Little Studio on the Mesa
- Looking for a unique and fun office holiday party? Look no further than Little Studio on the Mesa!
- Host your party in the art center located at 113 Longview Drive in White Rock or have the fun come to your office!
- Contact Joanne at littlestudioonthemesa@gmail.
com or (505).487.2009 and reserve your date now!
Samizdat BookStore & TeaHouse – Manga & Cartooning Workshops
- Manga and Cartooning Workshops – Saturdays;
- Love Manga? Love to draw? Professional comic artist and colorist Tracy Baily invites you to hang out, relax, draw, and talk about Manga!
- Saturdays, 10-11 a.m. ages 8-12, 11 a.m.-Noon ages 11+;
- $5 attendance fee. Art supplies provided;
- Contact Tracy@
samizdatbookstore.com if you have any questions.
- Comfort Inn & Suites
2455 Trinity Drive, Los Alamos
Positions Available: Front Desk Agent, Night Auditor, Housekeeping Attendant
If you enjoy working with people, would like to learn new skills, plus have day to day variety and an opportunity to grow your career quickly, the hospitality business is for you! Minimal to no experience is required for some positions.
Benefits: Employee discount, paid time off (PTO), flexible schedule, Supplemental Insurance through Aflac (after 90-day period), monthly bonus incentives
Contact General Manager Trevor Shuman for more information or to apply. (505).661.6892 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Los Alamos Public Schools
The LAPS Transportation Department is hiring bus drivers and substitute bus drivers. Training is available. LAPS employees are eligible for PTO, medical, dental and vision coverage, life insurance, YMCA membership and a retirement plan. In addition, there are opportunities for continuing education and advancement. Substitutes are not eligible for benefits. For more information regarding positions in Transportation, call (505).663.2222 or go to
http://laschools.net/careers/ for more information and to apply.
- Pet Pangaea, LLC
Full-Time Pet Specialist Sales Professional
Want to work at a company that improves the well-being of pets?
If you are:
· Self-motivated and results-driven
· Comfortable approaching and speaking to people
· Detailed and organized
· Curious and willing to learn
· Honest & reliable
· A team player who is willing to take on any task necessary
· Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment
· Paid time off
· Paid sick leave
· Extensive paid product and customer service training
· Employee discount program
· Weekly rewards payroll bonus program
· Health insurance that is 95 percent employer paid
· A 401k with employer match
· A fantastic place to work at a growing company where customers and their pets are family
No experience working in a pet supplies store is required. Applicants must be available weekdays, nights, and weekends.
Pet Pangaea LLC strives to improve the well-being of pets and is a growing retailer of high-quality pet supplies and nutritious pet foods in Los Alamos, NM. Email email@example.com for a job description and an application
Happy Holidays from the Chamber of Commerce!
This will be the final Chamber Messages for 2022, unless there is urgent info to get out to Chamber Members. Thank you for being a part of the Los Alamos Chamber. We look forward to working with you in 2023!
Ryn Herrmann, Chamber of Commerce Director, (505).661.4807 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sam McRae, Chamber Member Services Manager, 505.661.4816 or email@example.com.
See you next year!
Credit: Source link