Managing director and financial controller of Cope Construction Ltd Suman Sekran won the prestigious Business Woman of the Year award at the Women in Business (WIB) Annual Business Awards on Friday evening.
“I would like to thank the panel of judges, sponsors, WIB committee and the ever empowering WIB President Dr Ali for having such a platform where we women get recognised and also have the opportunity to empower other women,” said Sekran upon accepting her award.
The awards ceremony occurred after a lapse of two years following the COVID-19 pandemic.
The event brought together corporate competitors for a night of solidarity in support of women in all sectors.
WIB president Dr Nur Bano Ali said women in the fields of business and commerce faced numerous challenges.
She added that while there was a positive shift and the conversation around women in business had started to change, more work was needed before we could “see women as captains of business”.
The event also recognised the contributions and successes of up and coming business women with awards categories such as Aspiring Entrepreneur of the Year and Small Business of the Year, won by Eileen Rose and Monisha Naidu, respectively.
Dr Ali said the initial WIB awards began with only three categories, but had grown over the years, boasting 2000 nominations and producing over 200 winners.
Australian author Kirstie Clements spoke to attendees about her journey and perseverance as a woman with a rich and impressive career history.
An inspiration to many, she encouraged Fijian businesswomen to learn from life experiences when formal education may not be the right option for them, saying they could still dream big for their careers and achieve those dreams by working their way to the top despite the difficulties they may be faced with in their various industries.
Full Awards list 2022:
- Champion of WIB Award: Mohammed Farid (Digicel)
- Social Entrepreneur of the Year: Dr Krupali Rathod Tappoo
- Outstanding Woman of the Year: Shally Jannif (Digicel)
- Employer of Choice Awards: ANZ Bank
- Manager of the Year Public Sector: Rigamoto Motufaga (Reserve Bank of Fiji)
- Manager of the Year Private Sector: Saleshni Chand (Vodafone)
- Digicel Senior Manager of the Year Public Sector: Momina Begg (Fiji Revenue and Customs Service)
- Vodafone Senior Manager of the Year Private Sector: Shivani Raman (ANZ)
- Executive Woman of the Year – Public: Anurashika Bari (Nasinu/Nausori Town Council)
- Telecom Fiji Woman of the Year: ICT: Pauline Aradhna (Vodafone)
- ANZ Woman of the Year- Financial Services Sector: Eltrina Yee (Digicel)
- Aspiring Entrepreneur of the Year: Eileen Rose Small Business of the Year: Monisha Naidu (Mogul Marketing)
- Businesswoman of the Year: Suman Sekran (Cope Construction)
Credit: Source link